Some technologies lead to new forms of empowerment:
- Writing: more than memory, longer than living memory.
- Printing: yet more knowledge preserved and multiplied.
- Telegraphy: fast messaging for many over distance.
- Automobile: personal freedom of movement.
- Xerography: everyone’s a publisher.
- E-mail: return of the pen-pal and frequent mail delivery worldwide.
- Personal computers: unprecedented data management & secretarial services within households.
- Cell phone: instant person-to-person locating and updating.
- Blogs: anyone can publish a magazine all over the world.
- Discussion groups with pseudonyms: exchange views and establish trust between strangers.
- Twitter: everyone her own telegrapher.
- Transfer money by cell phone: economic lubricant in poor countries.