More interesting articles:
- Lapis lazuli from Afghanistan
- Catholicism for kids
- Count to Ten. The Ten Commandments
- Stealing, Slavery, and Stop Signs
- Darwin’s advice on how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse
- GOP Candidates a freak show (Huffington Post).
- “I actually thought it would be impossible to top the 2008 group in terms of freak-showishness, when we had Sam Brownback running against Darwin and Tom Tancredo running on the xenophobia ticket,” [Roy] Sekoff said.
- Nubians made antibiotic beer. This is being reported as a new discovery, but one of the commenters adds this:
- Actually, the tetracycline in Nubian bones was discovered by graduate students at UMass and published in 1980. Margaret Keith determined that the antibiotic could not have been a contaminant and had to be ingested over some time, because only growing bone cells showed the antibiotic. The paper was published in Science 1980, vol 209 pp 1532-153.
- How does fish oil combat inflammation?
- …omega-3 fatty acids both shut down inflammation and reverse diabetes in obese mice. “Omega-3s are very potent activators of GPR120 on macrophages — more potent than any other anti-inflammatory we’ve ever seen,” said Jerrold Olefsky of the University of California, San Diego…. Activation of GPR120 by omega-3s blocks not one, but all inflammatory pathways. When [mice that lacked the receptor] were made obese on a high-fat diet and treated with omega-3 fatty acids, they showed all the signs of inflammation and the insulin resistance that leads to diabetes.
- Skeptic’s Annotated Bible
- The Subjection of Women —John Stuart Mill.
- “…the legal subordination of one sex to the other — is wrong itself, and now one of the chief hindrances to human improvement…”
- Pulsate and other fun sound tools (hat tip The Pretend Biologist)