Here is what I have seen in Canada:
- Minor surgery from emergency room, wait, a few hours; if in treatment, a couple of days; cost, free.
- Arthroscopic knee surgery: wait, 2 weeks – 5 months; cost, free.
- Hip replacement: wait, 4 – 6 months; cost, free.
- MRI and CAT scans: wait, a few hours – 1 day; cost, free.
- Burn treatment: immediate; cost, free.
- Double lung transplant with all pre and post treatment: wait, 7 months; cost, free.
- Colostomy : wait, 2 – 3 weeks; cost, free.
- Emergency room treatment, triaged by urgency; cost, free.
- Medical lab tests, blood, urine, occult blood for colon cancer, ECGs, EKGs, etc: if done in hospital, a few hours, cost, free; if your doctor prescribes them, drop into the laboratory of your choice and be served in turn: a few minutes – a couple of hours; cost, free.
- Annual physical exam, make your appointment and keep it; X-rays or ultrasounds (mammogram, prostate screening–the doctor gives you a prescription: make an appointment – a week or 1 – 2 months later, keep appointment; cost, free).
- Colonoscopies to check for pre-cancerous polyps: doctor gives you a prescription if age or family history warrant it; you call hospital lab and make appointment; take the prep solution, keep appointment, get scoped, have someone take you home. Cost, free.
- Blood in the urine: treatment, immediate; cost, free.
- Spending a year in hospital dying of cancer – waiting time, none; cost, free. Planning visits from a case coordinator about long-term accommodation (that’s what the republicants are calling a death committee).
- Stroke or heart attack – emergency treatment immediate, surgery scheduled as urgent elective and done within a day or two, physical and occupational therapy in hospital and live-in rehabilitation centres, living skills, more case coordinators, and follow-up visits at home, on schedule. Cost, free.
- Infected wound: treatment immediate, hospitalization when symptoms warrant, daily house calls from nurse to fill & program antibiotic pump, months of physical therapy almost daily, drop in at hospital. No waiting. Cost, free.
- Pregnancy & childbirth with all pre-natal and postnatal examinations: Waiting time, none: just make the appointments and show up. Cost, free.
- All recommended inoculations for childhood diseases: given at school to classes or drop in at doctor; waiting, normally none (if supplies are limited, given to vulnerable age & health groups first); cost free.
- Adult inoculations for flu or tropical diseases, drop in to clinic or doctor; free – $35 depending on province.
Get the picture?