Selbourne Surveys in California is a novel idea by a couple of naturalists. They survey a property, such as a resort or ranch, and provide an attractive and accurate report on its natural ecology, including
- Prehistory and history
- Geology and soil
- Weather and its influences
- Plants, native and otherwise
- Wildlife, resident and visiting
- Planting suggestions to welcome wildlife
- References for further reading
It’s a lovely idea for planning, encouraging or deterring development, and attracting ecotourists.
At the same time, it’s a way for the naturalists to be paid for doing research and finding new places to do it.