How it might happen: The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin’s Dilemma
What’s observed to be happening:
- New species of mosquito evolves in London’s Underground
- Observed instances of speciation
- More observed instances of speciation
- Understanding the Lake Malawi cichlid radiation
- Neutral Ecological Theory Reveals Isolation and Rapid Speciation in a Biodiversity Hot Spot
- cane toads adapt for rapid dispersal in Australia
In the “There’s more to explore” category:
- Hawai’ian species systematics. Check out the caterpillar that eats snails!
- new species in Sankurliang caves in Borneo
- new order of insects found or new order of insects found—first since 1915
- new species at Saba Bank Atoll
The artist Henry Moore drew many pictures of the people sleeping in subway stations and tunnels during World War II to escape from the bombing of London. They were preyed upon by the mosquitoes that lived in the Underground.